Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Idiot Box For The Idiot!

"A blog a day keeps the boredom away." is the mantra I’m following nowadays. It’s the summer starting and that means a lot of sitcoms have their season finales going on. Having been a TV addict since the days of Chitrahaar and Rangoli, I can proudly say that not many match up to me when it comes to having watched “serials”. Hell, I think I’m probably the only engineering student who takes an avid interest in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii (please note the spelling!) and Saat Phere. That just goes to show the mouth-watering prospect that TV viewing is to me.
On the other hand, dramas like OC, Gossip Girl, Gilmore Girls et al which have a wide female fan base don’t exactly fall under my category of likeable. (You can at least have a laugh riot while watching Kahaani….) And there has been a recent storming entry into the likeable club, The Big Bang Theory (TBBT). To say that I adore it would be an understatement, I like my jokes with a bit (read:lots) of intellect. Hence, the likes of Scrubs and TBBT outweigh my liking towards F.R.I.E.N.D.S., which I still think is a benchmark by miles.
Scrubs, in my opinion, had a classy Season 7 ending though the reviews in the viewership circle called it anything but good. TBBT’s ending was too good to be true. An excerpt:
Character 1: I don’t think I should go out with Penny!
Character 2 (Character 1’s best friend): No you shouldn’t.
Character 1: You know, other people might be more considerate and ask “why not?”
Character 2: Well that’s because other people might be interested.
How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM)’s season ending was good with a nice bit of suspense thrown in the end.
After the abrupt ending of Prison Break I think I have lost faith in thrillers. It wasn’t very high in the first place either with Lost and Heroes being the culprits. At least, in sitcoms you can take it one episode at a time and an abrupt halt (read: writers’ strike) doesn’t bother you that much.
That said and done, I also feel that none of the recent crop of shows come close to achieving cult status. Yes, one can say that you need longevity for that (Friends ran for 10 seasons.) but still, none of the sitcoms can make everyone laugh at the drop of a hat and none of the dramas have any attraction that makes you sit up and take notice. I think “Sex and the City” came the closest possible with its wide appeal! Guys like me watched it for eye candy while the ladies went for it due that ummm……ummmm….. I think they call it “emotional and sentimental and commitment” thing rite?
I think, I can go on and on and on about each and every show I’ve ever watched but I’d like to end by quoting the legendary Barney:
“When I’m sad, I stop being sad and start being awesome!”

No comments: