Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dreaming Theatrically!!

PS 3’s and Xbox 360’s galore! Outdoor activities have been all but pastiched. Children prefer to play FIFA rather than jog a few hundred metres and learn dribbling. Never mind they might not be able to hold the ball the proper way, but they can execute a “between the legs” layup with precision on the console. Avoiding a tennis elbow is a far fetched reality so they might as well become Fedex and beat the crap out of the Djokovics on the Wii.
Luckily, I can say I have no such fetishes. For starters I come from a family with a very rich sporting background. Dad is 46 but still manages to beat me in Tennis. Not that I’m a great player or anything but I think its no mean feat. Personally I think, no game comes even close to basketball when it comes to the amount of hardwork required!! THAT’s a complete game. But if I were to watch anything, hands down football would win anytime….
Football has been an integral part of my life since the days I can barely remember. It had to be. I grew up in dad’s lap while he showered praises on the Rossis, Baggios, Mathauses et al. It was only natural that I took up football as my favourite sport during the early school days and grew up to worship the greatest team on Earth: Manchester United!
As I write this blog it is 28 hours to the Champions League final, THE most important match in the footballing calendar as far as club playing goes. And I cant help looking back to the my journey as a Red Devil for the past 12 years. Nostalgia fills me when I think about the Fergie years right from the days of the self proclaimed GOD, Cantona to who everyone proclaims GOD, Ronaldo!
Again I would dive deep into the bag of footballing clichés and say that I like Man Utd because they play the beautiful game the beautiful way and then back it up with trophies at regular (read:short) intervals. It’s a treat to watch them play at The Theatre of Dreams and demolish the oppositions with their one-two’s, their overlaps, their deft touches, their longballs…..there isn’t much that the Devils can’t do on their day.
The Busby Babes, the Bests, the Fergusons….these sort of stories happen all the time as far as the sporting world goes but the panache with which Old Trafford calls these its own is something no one can deny. That is part of the reason that makes this club so attractive.
So I cut it out here….hoping to increase the fanbase of this club from whatever little readership my blog has!
Manchester United will demolish the noveau riche Chelsea tomorrow!
GLORY GLORY MANCHESTER UNITED!!

No comments: