Monday, May 19, 2008

The Cliché College Blog..

The summer vacations have started and I guess, blogosphere will now have to bear with my more frequent visits. Moving on then, I find myself today commenting upon today’s college culture. And I admit, moving forward from my usually “narrative” genre of blogs is a step into the unknown.
Like always, let me tell you the inspiration behind this post. Well, this goes out to all of the hundreds of people who have gone “AAAH! NICE” when it is mentioned I study in an IIT. To which I generally think “I’ll trade places anytime…wannacome?” Its not that I hate college life or anything. Quite the opposite, I enjoy my college more than any of my varied living experiences so far. But I’d like to see things from a satirical point of view asto how far people come after school and going to a college.
I think most people who will read this blog are or have been college students. So, most of the readers would agree that once you come into a college, whatever thinking you had during “good old days” goes for a toss, when you are thrown in the college curriculum headfirst.
Personally speaking, I found my initial college days to be straight out from the initial chapters of Chronicles of Narnia. The huge institute, unknown surroundings and not to mention the dreaded ragging season promised to leave a permanent scar in what was otherwise a nice cool monsoon during the first week of August. Move ahead 15 days or so and all the first yearites settle down into becoming the quintessential collegians.
Of course, the abovementioned changing scenario is less drastic in nature in the day boarding colleges, but I think, the underlying scenario remains the same. Those previous thoughts of “which college to go to?” start seeming trivial and are replaced by the “more serious” thoughts about the immediate future after graduation.
Then come the sophomore days, where for the first few months you feel as the king of the world for you are the most dreaded entity in the campus due to your 2nd yearite tag.
American sitcoms, Hollywood bombshells and pondiyaap galore. Students drift from their families. (I’m not saying it in a derogatory manner, I think it goes a long way in making students independent.) To the fortunate few, there starts a blooming love life. ( In our cases, you can rule out the possibilities of an in-campus romance. There aren’t just that many girls….an oft repeated and a legendary fact about IIT’s) some souls experiment with drugs and the list is practically never ending!!
Then there remain some who( some, myself included, call “Mr. Goody two shoes”) remain the epitome of sincerity carried forward from their schooldays. To say that I despise them or am jealous of them would be a gross error. It is they who have aroused feelings that I hitherto considered non-existent. Simply said, I cant put that feeling in any category. You see them and think simultaneously:
1) They’re missing out on so much that college life offers. (Yes, I even call snorting drugs “a thing that college offers”.)
2) Oh who am I kidding? They’re everything that you want to be: the typical nice guys.

Seeing as I haven’t managed the second part during my stay here, I think the former outweighs the latter, at least in my case.
All of a sudden, a 25% score in tests seems harmless (it definitely would have looked suicidal while I was in school). All said and done, I think I’ll take the opportunity here to answer a very cliché question: What would you do, if u were given a chance to relive your college life? I think my answer would be: No regrets!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm, I suppose I don't have any either. regrets, I mean. None apart from the C+ in Network theory, B in microprocs, B in solid mech, B in digital electronics.... Hell, who am I kidding? I have only regrets