Thursday, February 5, 2009

Going, Going, Gone.

My biological clock has turned upside down since the past few days. Not something new in budding “engineers” I know, but one cannot fail to notice what a silent night (like the current one) and some memoirs can do to a person who most people would think of as having a sentimental range of a cockroach.

Today’s afternoon brought with it some excessive free time, which was ideally (and idly) whiled away at our very own Central Perk. Discussions on 'the hottest girl', The White Tiger, 'that random good looking girl on the road', insti took away the time when yours truly was summoned for some more fruitful activity.

Cut to the chase. My insti is something I am extremely proud of. Whether the reverse is true, I wouldn’t know but see, even Darth K9 who called the place a "shityard" at every given opportunity is feeling “Kabhie Khushi Kabhi Gham” when it comes to bidding adieu. I particularly remember “falling in love” on that fateful night I had to go the Old Library for some formalities when I saw the lawns bathed in light, the insti clock ticking away (as it has been for the past 160 years). For a first yearite who wouldn’t have taken long to pee in his pants at the very sight of a mean looking senior, you can imagine what the feeling would have been. Harry Potter had received his Nimbus 2000.

That was then. This is now, when this place is a shadow a glorious former self. When we see, some of the oldest parts of the institute demolished for swanky new structure, (A six storey lecture hall complex, for example.), we’re probably the only ones who cringe at this. To bystanders, it might be increasing infrastructure, to me its demolishing heritage. I make no pretences, those shabby one room quarters lined up wouldn’t have served one purpose, but they sure as hell are more to me than that complex would ever be. And that’s, in my own idiosyncrasy, when I have never even set foot inside them.

Of course, I don’t blame the administration for all this. To quote a famous cliché: “Its all politics.” Or to quote Loha, the movie: “Kauwe ne liya cheel ka chumma aur cheel ne paida kiya chuhe ka baccha!

*Analogies as you see fit.

Anyways, in whatever humble way is possible for me, I say “Goodnight!” to “those one roomed structures behind the new library!”

P.S.: I’m not drunk.

P.P.S.: Really. You’re gonna have to trust me.

4 comments:

Murty said...

Yeah, it is sad to see how day-by-day that little Bal Bhawan kind-of place is being demolished, along with the quarters you mentioned, of course. Now that you come to think of it, even something as magnificent as the New Central Library, might have come up at the cost of somethings like these!

The Decayed Canine said...

I still quite unequivocally refer to it as a shityard, mind. Of course, the nostalgia is a thing that must be borne, with pleasure or otherwise. No going back in there though... :D

Anirudh Arun said...

You gain some, you lose some. We all came to R - Land (at least I did) with illusions of a sophisticated bionic systems and hovercrafts plying the roads... What we got were 10 registration cards and cycles. Now the changes coming in may take us closer to our dreams (however painful they may be). Its needless to say - change is the only constancy around.

Sushant said...

@murtha
hmm....cis possible but does that make our plight any better?

@the dog himself
okhay. we'll see what happens!

@kondy
dude! leave aside my blog. i repeat: i want a copy of that "Vogue" cover pagepic of yours. classy expression...